Goodbye Microwave

My daughter Makenzie is a great helper. She loves projects. Cleanup, reorganizing, creating with paint, crayons, you name it. She loves to try to do it herself. She also loves to help make meals and does an amazing job of making her own lunches and even has made meals for the whole family.  She is a very independent, amazing young lady.

The other day Kenzie decided to make some Ramen Noodles for lunch. To make it quickly she uses the a microwave safe bowl in the microwave. She has done it a hundred times before. (Ok, maybe not a hundred. That’s a lot of Ramen. But you get the idea).

Sometime things can happen.

Apparently in her moment of doing too many things at the same time, she forgot a few details:
1. the water for the noodles
2. 5 minutes only needs two zeros rather than three

Somewhere between 5 minutes and 50 minutes later, billowing smoke and the smell of melting microwave safe dish came from our microwave.

Makenzie felt awful. It was an accident and not typical of her whatsoever.

The microwave is finished…so was the Ramen. The bottom of the dish was completely melted like hot tar. I took the leftover bowl and debris to the snow.

Such a small dish. Such a big amount of smoke!

Such a small dish. Such a big amount of smoke!

Getting a new microwave is not an option right now so we have gone old school and are using the stove more than ever. Reheating leftovers in the oven is a lost skill. When my coffee gets cold before it’s finished, I either warm it up with a pour from the pot or drink it as is. We even found ourselves making the popcorn old school because we had become so used to quick microwave popcorn.

It’s not a tragedy; it kinda fun. It’s also good the house is in tact, though the smell is taking a while to leave.

It’s also a good reminder of how easy some parts of life are.

It’s not a big deal. It’s just a little adversity. How we handle it is the real character definer.

We still have a house, food, each other, a purpose, a ministry, and a God who is faithful.

So I can’t heat up a little leftover pizza. I can make an open fire or just heat it up over the so-called microwave safe dish that’s still smoldering. :)

What’s your best microwave mishap story?

God is good,

Peder